A few years ago, if you ask me why don’t you make your own powder foundation, I would say, what a crazy thought. No one makes their own foundation. The idea of making homemade powder foundation would sound as crazy as if you had told me that I should make my own soap or lotion. Well, I now make my own soap and lotion (body balm) using all natural ingredients. I have also started to make my own foundation following a simple homemade powder foundation recipe.
Why should anyone make their own foundation? Because it is better for your skin than what you can buy in the store. I used to use BareMinerals powder foundation, but didn’t like its ingredients, which include titanium dioxide (a possible carcinogen to humans). Who wants to put that on their skin everyday?! I don’t. Another reason to make your own foundation is that it’s actually pretty easy to do. You don’t believe me? Keep reading and give my homemade powder foundation recipe a try.
An Easy and Simple Homemade Powder Foundation Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yields: about 6.25 grams
You can make a larger batch by increasing the ingredients proportionally. I like smaller batches because I like my makeup as fresh as possible.
Ingredients Used in Homemade Powder Foundation Recipe
Includes Affiliated Links
- Arrowroot Powder – 1/2 teaspoon (Bob’s Red Mill Arrowroot Starch/Flour, you might also find it in Whole Foods or other organic markets)
- Zinc Oxide – 1/4 teaspoon (Zinc Oxide Powder, this ingredients adds sun protection to your foundation)
- Cocoa Powder – 1/4 teaspoon (Healthworks Raw Certified Organic Cacao Powder, you might also find it in organic markets, such as Mom’s Organic Market)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/16 teaspoon (Simply Organic Turmeric Root, I got mine from Mom’s Organic Market)
- Ground Cinnamon – 1/16 teaspoon (Simply Organic Cinnamon Ground, I got mine from Mom’s Organic Market)
- (Optional) Vitamin E – 1 drop (NOW Foods E-Oil, you can also use natural Vitamin E capsule, which I had found in Whole Foods)
- (Optional) Tea Tree or Lavender Essential Oil – 2 drops (NOW Foods Tea Tree Essential Oil or NOW Foods Lavender Essential Oil)
3-Step Instructions for the Super Easy to Follow Homemade Powder Foundation Recipe
1. Mix all powder ingredients well.
2. (Optional) Add Vitamin E and Tea Tree or Lavender Essential Oil.
3. Store your foundation. I use a powder container with a sifter (Powder Container).
That’s it! Super easy, right? You can experiment with the powder ingredients to get a color that best match your skin tone. I tested the color of my foundation a few times by applying it on my wrist before finding the tone I liked. I found that if you use a sponge to apply your foundation you will get more and better coverage. I absolutely love this homemade powder foundation recipe. Not only can I customize the foundation to match my skin color, I also know exactly what’s in it. Plus, it gives me a very natural and light finish, no heavy and cakey powdery look. Who needs store bought powder foundation, with questionable and possibly harmful ingredients, when making your very own is as easy as following the 3-step instruction of this homemade powder foundation recipe.
Give this recipe a try and your skin will thank you. If you like this homemade powder foundation recipe, be sure to share it and pin it! I would love to hear all about your foundation creations and how great your skin looks and feels when you use the foundation. Feel free to ask me any questions about this recipe or about making your own bath, body and personal products naturally.