Don’t you just hate winter months?! Your skin is extra dry and itchy. WebMD.com says that “freezing temperatures, low humidity, and furnace-blasted dry air can leave your skin dry, flaky, and itchy.” One of the ways you can fight dry and itchy skin is to use an oil-based moisturizer. This lotion bar recipe creates a super nourishing moisturizer, because it uses amazingly luxurious ingredients like coconut oil and shea butter. The lotion bar created with this homemade lotion bar recipe helps your skin retain its much needed moisture during the harsh winter months. You are not fully convinced? Give this lotion bar recipe a try and you will think twice before buying another store-bought lotion.
All Natural Homemade Lotion Bar Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 6 oz of lotion bar
I like to make small batches of bath, body and personal care products. If you want to make a bigger batch, just increase each ingredient in the lotion bar recipe proportionally.
Ingredients for this Homemade Lotion Bar Recipe
includes affiliate links
- Olive Oil – 4 tablespoons (I use Trader Joe’s Imported Olive Oil. Or you can try La Tourangelle Extra Virgin Olive Oil, or Kirkland Signature Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Beeswax – 3 tablespoons (100% Organic Hand Poured Beeswax, or Beeswax Organic Pastilles)
- Coconut Oil – 2 tablespoon (I use Trader Joe’s Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Or you can try Carrington Farms Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, or Viva Labs Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil)
- Shea Butter – 2 teaspoons (NOW Foods Shea Butter, or Unrefined Shea Butter)
- (Optional) Orange Essential Oil – 10 drops (NOW Foods Orange Essential Oil)
- (Optional) Lavender Essential Oil – 5 drops (NOW Foods Lavender Essential Oil)
- (Optional) Vitamin E – 2-3 drops (NOW Foods E-Oil, I have also used natural Vitamin E capsules)
- (Optional) Fun Molds – Butterfly Silicone Mold or 8 Cavity Insect Silicone Mold or 6 Cavities Silicone Mold
- (Optional) Empty Containers – Empty Tins or Clear-Top Spice Tins
Instructions on Making All Natural Lotion Bar Recipe
- Place Olive Oil, Beeswax, Coconut Oil, and Shea Butter in a container. I use a glass measuring cup so pouring melted ingredients into a mold is easy.
- Place container in a pot that has about 2 inches of water. You are creating a double boiler to melt the ingredients.
- Melt Olive Oil, Beeswax, Coconut Oil, and Shea Butter completely. It took me about 10 minutes with medium heat on the stove.
- Add Essential Oil and Vitamin E into melted ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour melted ingredients into a mold. I like silicone molds because they make releasing the lotion bar from the mold without much effort.
- Let mixture cool completely in the mold. It took about 10 minutes for me. Release lotion bar from mold and place lotion bar in a container. Then enjoy your very own all natural lotion bar created with a simple lotion bar recipe.
That’s it! It’s pretty easy and simple to follow this lotion bar recipe, right? You can make your very own all natural lotion bar with just a few all natural ingredients. You can play around with the essential oil blend to suit your preference. I think the orange and lavender blend is amazing. But you can experiment with your very own blend of essential oil. That’s the beauty of making your own bath, body and personal care products. You decide what goes into your creation and you can customize it to fit your needs and preferences.
Everyone in my little household uses this lotion bar and the Shea Butter Lotion, which is made with the same ingredients as the lotion bar. The Shea Butter Lotion uses less beeswax than what I use in this homemade lotion bar recipe. We absolutely love both the lotion and the lotion bar, and wouldn’t be able to get through these dry and harsh winter months without them.
I hope you will give this homemade lotion bar recipe a try. I’d love to hear about your creations. If you like the recipe, be sure to share it and pin it! As always, feel free to ask me any questions about this recipe or anything else about making your own bath, body and personal care products naturally.