There are good reasons to make your own lip balm. First, it is super fun and easy to do. Second, it costs very little (probably around $0.50 per tube). Third, you have complete control over the ingredients and can use all natural and/or organic ingredients that are great for your lips and body. I have experimented with quite a few lip balm and lip gloss recipes and have had consistent results with this simple & easy homemade lip balm recipe that uses all natural ingredients. This recipe makes super hydrating and moisturizing lip balm that you can not only use but also gift to your loved ones. What are you waiting for?! Let’s make some lip balm with this homemade lip balm recipe.
Make All Natural Lip Balm with this Easy & Simple Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Yields: 3 to 4 tubes of 5 ml lip balm
If you want to make more, just increase your ingredients proportionally. I like small batches because I like my lip balm and body care products as fresh as possible, because I don’t add any synthetic preservatives to any of my creations.
Ingredients for this Easy & Simple Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
Includes affiliate links
- Beeswax – 3 teaspoons (100% Organic Hand Poured Beeswax) (UPDATE: based on a reader’s feedback, you might want to use only 2 teaspoons of beeswax if you are not using a twist-up tube container. If you use a small tin container, and apply the lip balm with your fingers, your lip balm need not be very hard, so consider using less beeswax)
- Coconut Oil – 2 teaspoons (Trader Joe’s Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil)
- Cocoa Butter – 2 teaspoons (Pure, Raw Cocoa Butter)
- Olive Oil – 1 teaspoon (Trader Joe’s California Estate Olive Oil, you can get olive oil at Trader Joe’s for $5.99)
- (Optional) Peppermint Essential Oil – 2 drops (NOW Foods Peppermint Essential Oil)
- (Optional) Natural Vitamin E – 1 drop (NOW Foods E-Oil, I use natural Vitamin E capsules from Whole Foods)
- Lip Balm Containers (Lip Balm Empty Container Tubes)
Instructions for this Easy & Simple Homemade Lip Balm Recipe
1. Place Beeswax, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter and Olive Oil in a container. I use a glass measuring cup that makes pouring melted ingredients into lip balm tubes easy.
2. Place container in a pot that has about 2 inches of water. You are creating a double boiler to melt the ingredients.
3. Melt Beeswax, Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter and Olive Oil completely. It took me about 10 minutes with medium heat on the stove.
4. (Optional) Add Vitamin E and Peppermint Essential Oil. Mix Vitamin E and essential oil well into melted ingredients.
5. Pour melted ingredients into lip balm tubes.
6. Let mixture cool completely in lip balm tubes. It took me about 20 minutes. Then enjoy all natural lip balm you just created using this easy & simple homemade lip balm recipe.
That’s it! Told you. It’s super easy to make your own all natural lip balm if you follow this homemade lip balm recipe. Although the lip balm has a yellow tint because the recipe uses beeswax, it goes on your lips clear without any coloration. Also, the lip balm you create with this recipe tastes a bit like chocolate, because of the cocoa butter. How can you not want to try that!? The peppermint essential oil gives your lips a little cooling sensation, which goes nicely with the chocolate taste. But if you are not into peppermint, just leave it out. That’s the beauty of making your own bath, body and personal care products. You are in complete control of the ingredients.
I know, I know, it’s annoying to have to buy the ingredients in such large quantity (like a pound of cocoa butter) when you only need a few teaspoons for this recipe. But the ingredients for this homemade lip balm recipe can be used to create a bunch of personal care products. So think of them as encouragement for you to continue making your own all natural bath, body and personal care products. Browse this site and you will find plenty of good ideas to use your beeswax, coconut oil, cocoa butter and olive oil.
I hope you will give this homemade lip balm recipe a try. If you like it, be sure to share it and pin it! I would love to hear about your lip balm creations. And feel free to ask me any questions about this recipe or about making your own bath, body and personal care products naturally.