DIY felted soap is soap that’s in a matted wool (aka, felt) “jacket.” DIY felted soap lathers well. It is a gentle exfoliant. It also makes any natural soap bar last longer. You can make DIY felted soap very colorful. It will sure to brighten any bathroom. And it is super easy to make. Seriously, you will need about 10 minutes to make one. Want to know how? Read on!
DIY Felted Soap
Prep Time: about 10 minutes, a little more time if you are adding unique designs
Yields: 1 DIY felted soap
DIY Felted Soap Materials
includes affiliate links
- Soap Bar – 1 soap bar. I use my all natural handmade soap. All soap, including natural soap like Kirk’s Original Coco Castile Soap, or Kiss My Face Naked Pure Olive Oil Soap will work.
- Wool Roving – about 3 – 5 grams for 1 bar of soap. Soledi offers a set of 36 colors of wool roving.
- Pantyhose – 1 pair. I use a pair of damaged pantyhose that have a run. I cut out and use the legs of the pantyhose. You can also use knee high stockings.
- (optional) Felting Needle – 1 felting needle. You’ll need a felting needle, or a felting kit if you want to create unique designs on your DIY felted soap.
- (optional) Cookie cutter – a cute one. You can use cookie cutters to add designs.
How to Make DIY Felted Soap
(1) Wrap a soap bar in about 3 to 5 grams of wool roving. Try to distribute the wool roving evenly on the soap.
(2) Put the felt covered soap inside a knee high stocking or the leg of a pair of cut up pantyhose.
(3) Wrap the felt covered soap with the stocking or pantyhose.
(4) Wet the felt covered soap with warm water. Rub the soap in your hands until it lathers. You want to keep rubbing the soap for about 7 to 8 minutes. During this period, the wool roving is getting matted and forming a “jacket” on the soap.
Some people alternate between rubbing the soap in cold and warm water. This helps the wool roving to shrink to the size of the soap. Some people make 2 felted soap bars at once. They would rub them together during this process.
(5) Gently and slowly remove the felted soap from the stocking or pantyhose. Some of the felt might be stuck to the stocking/pantyhose. Gently separate the felted soap from the stocking/pantyhose.
(6) Allow your DIY felted soap to dry completely before use. It took about a day for me.
Follow the above 6 steps, you can make your own DIY felted soap in about 10 minutes. If you want to get creative, you can use different colors of wool roving to make your felted soap. You can also use a felting needle to add unique designs to your felted soap.
How to Add Unique Designs to DIY Felted Soap
(1) Repeat all the 6 steps above. Here I use 3 different colors (purple, beige, and pink) of wool roving to make this felted soap.
(3) Place a cookie cutter on the felted soap. Use your thumb to press the wool roving down inside the cookie cutter.
(4) Use a felting needle to push the wool roving into the felted soap. It took me about 10 to 15 minutes of rapidly poking of the felting needle into the soap. And voila!
That’s it! This is how you make DIY felted soap. It’s easy and quick to make. Because you are working with wool roving that comes in so many colors, you can makes very vibrant and unique felted soap. I made a piggy felted soap for my little bug. She is going through a serious piggy phase, and loves anything piggy. Will you be making your own DIY felted soap? I’d love to know how you like making and using the DIY felted soap. If you like this tutorial, please pin it and share it!