I had been looking for an easy and simple DIY hair growth mask recipe for sometime, because I heard that it can do wonders to thinning and damaged hair. Who doesn’t want a head full of thick, shiny and healthy hair?! I know I do. I thought about purchasing hair mask that would encourage hair repair and hair growth, but was disappointed on what’s on the market. The available store-bought products often include artificial or synthetic ingredients that might be harmful.
Many hair treatment products contain paraben, a controversial synthetic preservative that mimics estrogen in the body and that was found in malignant breast tumors. Some people believe that paraben (which might be listed as propylparaben, butylparaben, isobutylparaben, isopropylparaben or other ingredients with names ending with “paraben”) causes breast cancer. This is an ongoing debate and you can read more about it here, here and here. After not being able to find a product that I feel comfortable purchasing, I looked through a ton of home remedies books, DIY beauty blogs and tried multiple formulations, before deciding on the easy and simple DIY hair growth mask recipe below. It uses 3 all natural ingredients and takes minutes to whip up.
DIY Hair Growth Mask, 3 Simple Ingredients, All Natural
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Yields: 3 oz of DIY hair growth mask, enough for 3 to 4 at home hair treatments
Because this recipe doesn’t include any synthetic preservative, I usually finish the DIY hair growth mask within a week of making it. If you don’t introduce any liquid, such as water, into the hair mask, it can remain fresh for months.
3 Ingredients for this DIY Hair Growth Mask
includes affiliate links
- Coconut Oil – 3 oz. I use Trader Joe’s Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. You can also try Viva Labs Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, or Carrington Farms Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. You can use any brand of coconut oil, but the best kind for your hair, scalp and skin is organic extra virgin coconut oil. It retains most of the coconut’s natural nutrients.
- Rosemary Essential Oil – 20 drops (Now Foods Rosemary Essential Oil)
- Cedarwood Essential Oil – 10 drops (Now Foods Cedarwood Essential Oil)
Why Include These 3 Ingredients in the DIY Hair Growth Mask?
Coconut Oil – is a popular and effective hair conditioner. It is loaded with rich nutrients that nourishes hair cuticles and scalp, and has antibacterial and antifungal properties that help eliminate dandruff. When massaged onto the scalp, coconut oil boosts scalp circulation and strengthens hair follicles. All of these amazing qualities of coconut oil can encourage hair repair and hair growth. Read more about the wonders of coconut oil in hair treatments here, here and here.
Rosemary Essential Oil – is oil distilled from the medicinal plant Rosmarinus officinalis. In a trial that involved 100 participants, people who used rosemary essential oil showed significant increase in hair count at the 6-month mark. Rosemary essential oil stimulates scalp circulation, which promotes healing at hair roots, and encourages hair growth. Read more about it here and here.
Cedarwood Essential Oil – is oil distilled from the tree juniperus virginiana, also known as red cedar. Like coconut oil and rosemary essential oil, cedarwood essential oil, when massaged onto the scalp, can promote circulation and scalp health. These qualities, combined with its antibacterial and antifungal attributes, can aid hair repair and hair growth.
Instructions on Making and Using the DIY Hair Growth Mask
1. (Optional) Whip your coconut oil with a handheld whisk/mixer. You totally don’t have to do this, and I don’t always whip my coconut oil. I decided to whip it here because I like whip coconut oil’s creamy consistency. I also think whip coconut oil stays on my scalp and hair better than coconut oil. But whipping is totally optional.
3. Brush your hair. Make sure to brush all the knots out.
4. Massage a small amount of the DIY hair growth mask onto your scalp and hair for a few minutes. You can do this with or without first damping your hair. I find that it’s easier to massage my scalp and hair if my hair is damp. This mask is VERY rich, you don’t need to use a lot on your scalp or hair. An ounce is plenty. If you don’t have extremely dry or damaged hair, you probably only need to use 1/2 an ounce.
4. Wrap your hair in a towel and let your DIY hair growth mask do its thing for at least 30 minutes. I usually use the hair mask when I am taking a long, relaxing bath. I like that I can soften my skin in a bath, and hydrate, condition my scalp and hair all at the same time.
5. Wash your hair with all natural soap or shampoo, such as castile soap. Shampoo and rinse a few times, if necessary. Coconut oil can make your tub/shower slippery, be mindful when stepping in and out of the tub/shower.
6. Dry your hair as usual. Air dry is better than blow dry, because excessive heat is never good for your hair.
That’s it! This is how to make and use DIY hair growth mask. The first time I used this mask, I thought it was a good idea to just leave the mask on, without washing it off. I thought because all 3 ingredients do such amazing things to hair, why should I wash them off?! That was NOT a good idea. After one use, my hair became very oily, greasy, and matted. And it looked like I hadn’t washed my hair in weeks. Not good!
That goes to show that too much of a good thing is not always good. Lesson learned. I now wash the hair mask off after about 30 minutes. Some people have found that they need to shampoo their hair a few times after using the hair mask. I am not surprised because coconut oil is very rich. I haven’t found the need for multiple rounds of shampooing, but you can certainly do that to control the oiliness of your hair. So far, I have been impressed by this hair mask’s hydrating benefits. I can definitely see that my hair has become shinier.
Well, will you give this easy and simple, 3-ingredient, DIY hair growth mask recipe a try? If you do and like the recipe, be sure to share it and pin it! I’d love to hear about your creation and how much fuller, healthier and shinier your hair has become!!