Love your skin?! Then make your own homemade shea butter lotion using all natural ingredients. It is super easy. All store-bought lotions have preservatives, because they all have water as an ingredient. The store-bought lotions need preservatives because of the lengthy period from production to consumption. Why subject our skin to preservatives and other synthetic ingredients with names that no one knows or can pronounce. You can handcraft your own homemade shea butter lotion with all natural ingredients. This homemade shea butter lotion is preservative free and extremely nourishing. This recipe creates a lotion that is gentle enough for babies and toddlers, because it is all natural, without added fragrance or scent. I use it on my 2-year-old daily and she loves it.
This homemade shea butter lotion has 5 natural ingredients. Because it does not contain water, it has a long shelf life even without any preservatives. I don’t refrigerate my lotion but usually use it up within a month of making it. Give the recipe a try. When you do, you will wonder why you have waited this long to make your own homemade lotion.
Homemade Shea Butter Lotion
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yields: 5 oz of lotion
I make lotion in small batches to make sure it is always fresh when I use it. You can double or triple your yield by doubling or tripling the ingredients.
Ingredients for Homemade Shea Butter Lotion
includes affiliate links
- Olive Oil – 4 tablespoons. I use Trader Joe’s Imported Olive Oil, which is $5.99 at Trader Joe’s. Any brands of olive oil will work. I recommend using extra virgin olive oil, because it’s the best for you skin.
- Beeswax (cosmetic grade) – 2 tablespoons. You can try Yellow Beeswax Pellets.
- Shea Butter – 2 tablespoon. I use Raw Unrefined African Shea Butter.
- Coconut Oil – 2 tablespoons. I use Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, which is a few dollars at Trader Joe’s. You can use any brands of extra virgin coconut oil.
- Vitamin E (from natural sources) – 3 capsules. I use Vitamin E capsules from Whole Foods. You can also try Solgar – Vitamin E.
Instruction on Making Homemade Shea Butter Lotion
(1) Add olive oil, beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter in a glass jar.
(2) Cut vitamin E capsules, and squeeze the liquid vitamin E into the glass jar.
(3) Put glass jar in a pot filled with 2 inches of water. You are creating a double boiler here, so you can heat the glass jar with water in the pot, not directly with flame/heat from the stove.
(4) Place pot (with water and glass jar) on the stove. Turn stove on to medium heat/flame.
(5) When the ingredients in the glass jar are completed melted (it took me about 10 minutes), pour mixture into a small glass mason jar.
(6) Let the mixture cool, until the golden liquid hardens into your very own homemade shea butter lotion. The cooling process took about 15 minutes for me. See pics below for the mixture’s transformation from liquid to lotion.
Here is a comparison between the lotion before it is cooled (in liquid form) and after it is cooled (in lotion form).
That’s it! Super easy, right? This homemade shea butter lotion is made with all natural ingredients. It has no added fragrance or scent. Feel free to add essential oil if you want it scented. A few drops of orange essential oil will make the lotion smell wonderful. Without any essential oil, the homemade shea butter lotion will have hints of honey and coconut. This easy and simple recipe creates an all natural and super nourishing lotion. When you first apply it onto your skin it feels slightly oily, but it is absorbed quickly, leaving you with only soft and moisturized skin. I use this homemade shea butter lotion daily on myself and my little one, and we both absolutely love it!
Give this easy and simple homemade shea butter lotion recipe a try. I’d love to hear about your creations, and any questions you might have. If you like this recipe, share it and pin it please!